Are you looking or the perfect dish to prepare for mom on her special day this year? Executive Chef Pedro Salillas offers his favorite recipe for Traditional Spanish Paella that is sure to wow your mom at home!
Paella changes interpretation from region to region, dependent on local traditions and the ingredients readily available. Today, Paella is generally associated with seafood, chicken or vegetables, sometimes a combination of all three.
This Traditional Paella is made with a homemade seafood and vegetable stock, lobster, clams, fresh veggies and rice. Share in the tradition!
This recipe is courtesy of Chef Pedro Salillas of OD Barcelona, a boutique and luxury hotel.
For the Broth
- 2 lbs. shrimp
- 2 lbs. prawn
- 2 lbs. crab
- 2 cups onion
- 1 1/3 cups leeks
- 1 1/2 cups carrot
- 3 cups tomato
For the Sofrito
- 4 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups tomato, grated
For the Paella
- 4 1/2 cups rice
- 1 lobster, broken down
- 4 artichokes, hearts only
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1/3 cup zucchini, cut into thick slices
- 3/4 lb. clams
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Add shellfish to pot with extra virgin olive oil and cook until done. Remove the seafood from the pot and add the vegetables in the following order, with a margin of 5 minutes between the vegetables: onion, leek, carrot, tomato.
- 2 While vegetables are cooking, remove shells from the seafood. Add the seafood back into the pot and cover with water.
- 3 Let cook over high heat for 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and leave covered for 30 minutes. Crush the contents and strain through a fine sieve to remove impurities.
- 1 Cook the onion with extra virgin olive oil until it is completely caramelized (approx. 2 hours). Add the tomato and set to low heat. Caramelize the tomato for another 2 hours.
- 1 Cook the lobster in extra virgin olive oil in large saucepan until it’s half done. Remove and add rice until its a light brown. Add 3 tablespoons of the sofrito, stir and add the broth
- 2 Cook for 7 minutes over medium to high heat and add the zucchini and artichokes. Lower the heat and cook for 4 more minutes, then add the clams and lobster.
- 3 Cook for 4 more minutes on low heat and sprinkle some olive oil on top. Add the peas and cook for 3 more minutes or until there is little broth left. Remove from heat and let rest for two minutes.