This Watermelon Arugula Salad is constructed on a bed of fresh arugula, topped with shaved fennel, heirloom grape tomatoes, and pickled watermelon radish – crowned with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette and shaved pecorino.
Did you know Meyer lemons originated in China and they’re a hybrid blend of a citron and a mandarin/pomelo? They’re smaller, smoother and rounder than regular lemons with a punch of sweetness, without as much tang.
This recipe for Watermelon Arugula Salad is another in our series shared by Chef Kyle Beausoleil of Michael Jordan’s Steak House, located in the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut.
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Meyer Lemon juice
- 1 Meyer Lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 2 cups blended oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pickled Watermelon Radish Ingredients
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white balsamc vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces Arugula
- 1 ounce fennel, shaved
- 2 ounces heirloom grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon vinaigrette
- 5 slices pickled water melon radish
- 1/2 ounce pecorino, shaved
- 1 Marinate radish slices in vinegar for 30 minutes, then drain.
- 1 Shingle radishes in a circle in the bottom of the plate.
- 2 Mix arugula, fennel and tomatoes in a bowl with vinaigrette and place atop the radish.
- 3 Finish with shaved pecorino.