Here, sweet watermelon is matched with sharp Manchego cheese and salty, meaty serrano ham. Assembled together into bite-size morsels and finished with piquant black pepper, the ingredients mingle to create simple yet bold appetite sparkers.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 1/4 pound seedless watermelon
- 1/2 pound serrano ham, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces Manchego cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Cut the melon flesh away from the rind. Discard the rind and cut the flesh into 1-inch cubes. Cut the ham into thin strips about 1/2 inch wide. Trim the rind off the cheese and discard. Cut the cheese into thin squares to fit the top of the watermelon cubes.
- 2 To assemble the skewers, place a piece of cheese on top of a watermelon cube, and then carefully top with 1 or 2 folded strips of ham. Secure each bite with a cocktail pick.
- 3 To serve, arrange the skewers on a platter, grind pepper generously over the top and drizzle a drop or two of olive oil over each piece. Serve immediately.