Created by Chef Dave Woolley for our friends at The National Watermelon Promotion Board, these watermelon rind pickles leave the slightest bit of red flesh for a beautiful color and taste experience!
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 cups watermelon rind, peeled (leave a thin layer of pink), cut into 1 x 1/2 x 2-inch pieces.
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 all spice berry
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 long slice fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 In large pot, bring water and salt to boil over medium-high heat. Add rind pieces and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer rinds to a large metal bowl.
- 2 In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 15 minutes until slightly reduced.
- 3 Pour over watermelon rinds in bowl. Place plate over top to keep rinds submerged in liquid. Cover and refrigerate one day.
- 4 Transfer to glass jar and keep sealed in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- 5 Serving suggestion: enjoy with your favorite deli meats and cheeses, perhaps with other pickled veggies for a tasting party.