Whoopie Pies Recipe – This recipe comes from Betty Groff’s Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook.
Whoopie Pies freeze well and can be wrapped individually.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk soured with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
- 1 To make the Cake: Cream the shortening and sugar from the first set of ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- 2 In another bowl, sift the flour with the cocoa, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add this to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Mix in the hot coffee.
- 3 Drop the batter in teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. Store on wax paper until all the cookies have been baked.
- 4 For the FILLING: Beat the egg whites until fluffy. Gradually beat in the vanilla, milk, sugar, and flour. Add the shortening and butter and beat until very fluffy.
- 5 Take one cookies and place a generous tablespoon of filling on the flat side. Top with another cookies; they should look like yo-yos. These freeze well if wrapped individually.