Wild Rice with Cranberries & Almonds makes a great holiday side dish.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Confirm all otheringredients are made gluten-free, including the chicken broth, and this recipe can be made gluten-free.
Wild rice takes longer to cook than other rice but it has a lower glycemic index of 45 compared to white rice with a glycemic index of 70. This rice is a great holiday side dish too and is crowd-appropriate.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red or white onion, diced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth -or-beef broth
- 2 (4-ounce) boxes wild rice
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted or plain
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1 Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2 Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3 Add the water and chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
- 4 Add the rice; cover and cook according to package directions; usually about 50-60 minutes.
- 5 Remove the lid and add in the toasted almonds and cranberries; use a fork to mix together.