The time-honored tradition of Wimbledon afternoon tea is a delicious way to enjoy the Wimbledon Tennis Open this year.
We’ve paired 3 favorite tea sandwiches with indulgent mini desserts, British tea, and chilled champagne. Be sure to include a traditional strawberry dessert, such as fresh berries and Devonshire cream or an indulgent strawberry pastry. Let the events begin!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here.
Roast Beef & Horseradish Tea Sandwiches:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained ground horseradish
- 12 slices pumpernickel bread
- 6 thin slices roast beef (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 small red onion, thin sliced
Lemon-Dill Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- 12 baguette slices
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, thin sliced
- 24 cucumber slices
- 12 fresh dill sprigs
Prosciutto-Basil Tea Sandwiches:
- 12 slices best quality white bread
- 5 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 4 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- As needed, mini desserts (scones, pastries, cakes, fresh berries)
- As needed, fresh brewed English tea (such as Darjeeling, Earl Grey)
- As needed, chilled champagne
To Prepare Roast Beef & Horseradish Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Combine mayonnaise and horseradish in a bowl and whisk to blend. Spread evenly over 1 side of each pumpernickel slice.
- 2 Layer roast beef on bottom 6 slices; top with arugula and red onion. Cover with top 6 slices of bread and press closed. Cut off crusts and slice each sandwich into 4 strips. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
To Prepare Lemon-Dill Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Combine cream cheese, dill and lemon juice in small bowl and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Spread evenly over baguette slices.
- 2 Top evenly with smoked salmon, cucumbers, and dill. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
To Prepare Prosciutto-Basil Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Spread goat cheese evenly on 6 slices of white bread.
- 2 Top evenly with prosciutto and basil chiffonade. Cover with 6 top slices of bread and press closed. Cut off crusts and slice each sandwich in half forming triangle-shaped tea sandwiches. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
- 1 Unwrap sandwiches and arrange on a table. Accompany with mini desserts from your local bakery arranged on a pedestal, if desired.
- 2 Serve with hot tea and fresh champagne.