The time-honored tradition of Wimbledon afternoon tea is a delicious way to enjoy the Wimbledon Tennis Open this year.
We’ve paired 3 favorite tea sandwiches with indulgent mini desserts, British tea, and chilled champagne. Be sure to include a traditional strawberry dessert, such as fresh berries and Devonshire cream or an indulgent strawberry pastry. Let the events begin!
Roast Beef & Horseradish Tea Sandwiches:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained ground horseradish
- 12 slices pumpernickel bread
- 6 thin slices roast beef (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 small red onion, thin sliced
Lemon-Dill Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- 12 baguette slices
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, thin sliced
- 24 cucumber slices
- 12 fresh dill sprigs
Prosciutto-Basil Tea Sandwiches:
- 12 slices best quality white bread
- 5 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 4 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- As needed, mini desserts (scones, pastries, cakes, fresh berries)
- As needed, fresh brewed English tea (such as Darjeeling, Earl Grey)
- As needed, chilled champagne
To Prepare Roast Beef & Horseradish Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Combine mayonnaise and horseradish in a bowl and whisk to blend. Spread evenly over 1 side of each pumpernickel slice.
- 2 Layer roast beef on bottom 6 slices; top with arugula and red onion. Cover with top 6 slices of bread and press closed. Cut off crusts and slice each sandwich into 4 strips. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
To Prepare Lemon-Dill Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Combine cream cheese, dill and lemon juice in small bowl and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Spread evenly over baguette slices.
- 2 Top evenly with smoked salmon, cucumbers, and dill. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
To Prepare Prosciutto-Basil Tea Sandwiches:
- 1 Spread goat cheese evenly on 6 slices of white bread.
- 2 Top evenly with prosciutto and basil chiffonade. Cover with 6 top slices of bread and press closed. Cut off crusts and slice each sandwich in half forming triangle-shaped tea sandwiches. Arrange on serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
- 1 Unwrap sandwiches and arrange on a table. Accompany with mini desserts from your local bakery arranged on a pedestal, if desired.
- 2 Serve with hot tea and fresh champagne.