A crusty, cheesy, chicken sandwich! This chicken sandwich is topped with creamy scalloped potatoes, creamed corn puree, and garlic spinach atop perfectly fried chicken.
- 24 slices crusty style bread, cut about 1/2-inch thick
- 24 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounce) heavy cream
- 1 cup (8 ounce) hot water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Romano cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour cream
- 3 lbs. Idaho® russet potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
Creamed Corn Purée
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 lbs. frozen corn kernels
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 12 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/2-inch thick
- Crispy chicken batter of choice, see note**
- Oil for pan
- 3/4 cup garlic, minced, divided
- 24 ounces baby spinach leaves, packed, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (conventional) 325°F (convection). Coat a half sheet pan with cooking spray.
- 2 Heat butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and garlic; sauté stirring frequently until softened and translucent.
- 3 Stir in flour until evenly absorbed. Whisk in cream, hot water and salt; bring to a simmer and stir until thickened.
- 4 Gradually whisk in cheeses and sour cream.
- 5 Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick. (If needed, place in water to prevent browning while preparing; drain well before proceeding). In a large bowl, combine potatoes and cheese sauce. Mix to evenly coat.
- 6 Spread potatoes in an even layer on prepared pan. Potatoes should be about 5/8-inch thick. Bake 30-40 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and top is golden brown. Cool, then refrigerate. Cut into 12 or 16 pieces depending on portion to fit bread.
Creamed Corn Puree
- 1 Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add corn kernels and stir until thawed.
- 2 Stir in flour until incorporated. Add cream, sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. Bring to a simmer; stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 3 Transfer mixture to a food processor. Pulse to make a coarse purée. Cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Measure 4 ounces (1/2 cup) per serving. Reheat on stovetop or microwave.
- 1 Coat chicken with flour. Dip in batter**. Deep fry until cooked through (165°F in center).
- 2 In a lightly oiled pan, add 1 tablespoon of garlic for a few seconds over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups (packed) spinach and stir just until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Heat a portion of Scalloped Potatoes for 1 minute in microwave.
- 4 Heat a portion of Corn Purée for 1 minute in microwave.
- 5 Lightly Toast Bread on both sides; top each slice with ¼ cup Corn Purée. Place on a heat-proof tray.
- 6 Place Scalloped Potatoes over corn on one slice of bread; top with Fried Chicken and one slice of cheese.
- 7 Place Garlic Spinach over corn on other slice of bread and top with a slice of cheese.
- 8 Heat sandwich halves under salamander or broiler for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted.
- 9 Put sandwich together with the spinach side on top. Cut in half and skewer with a long pick.
- 1 **To prepare batter, stir together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons beaten egg and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Let stand 5 minutes.