In step with the Back-to-School ‘Make It Healthy’ food trend, Oscar Mayer Lunchables and Pirate’s Booty Snacks are among those offering new better-for-you choices as the bell rings in the new school year.
Oscar Mayer has debuted a new line of Lunchables Lunch Combinations, featuring nutritious items like applesauce, spring water and sub sandwiches on whole-grain bread.
“Moms told us what they wanted and we listened,” said Darin Dugan, Senior Director of Marketing for Lunchables.
The new line of Lunchables, priced at $3.49 in retail and grocery stores, boasts six new varieties: Turkey + Cheddar Sub Sandwich, Ham + American Sub Sandwich, Turkey + Cheddar Cracker Combos, Ham + American Cracker Combos, Deep Dish Cheese Pizza and Deep Dish Pepperoni Pizza.
The new Lunchables also are packaged differently, for the first time in 21 years. The line comes in clear packaging with recyclable sleeves, bottom trays and water bottles.
Pirate’s Booty Offers Tips for a “Healthier Brown Bag Makeover”
Pirate’s Booty, the makers of crunchy air-puffed snacks baked with all-natural ingredients, first developed its products specifically for kids in 1986 – before healthy snacks even hit the marketplace. The motto at Pirate’s Booty is that no matter the age – tot to teen – children need to learn how to eat healthy and balanced to sustain good eating habits for life.
Among their tips (delivered pirate style)…
- Don’t Be a Son of a Biscuit Eater – Trade in the white bread for slices of whole-grain or a whole wheat wrap instead.
- Lay Off the Meat Pie – Opt for leaner meats like turkey or chicken that are low in fat, but high in protein, so your child can grow up big and strong.
- Open the Hatch – Expand the range of foods in your child’s repertoire to include a little from each food group – grains, protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables.
- Cut the Sugar, Scallywag – Avoid over sugary snacks and cakes and your child will surely avoid the inevitable energy crash and possible weight gain.
- Avast ye the Salt – Salty snacks can dehydrate a youngling, so watch the sodium intake.
- Don’t Drop the Snack Anchor – Noshing on whole grain snacks that are low in sugar will keep a child’s energy up for that big test in between breakfast and lunch.
Pirate’s Booty has added two new flavors to their snack line – Bermuda Onion and Sea Salt & Vinegar are on shelves now. The new flavors expand ‘The Original Puff’ family that includes Aged White Cheddar, Veggie, Barbeque and Caramel.