New York restaurants won top honors in the annual James Beard Foundation Awards, presented this week at New York’s Lincoln Center. The prestigious awards are sometimes referred to as the Oscars of the culinary arts.
- Outstanding Restaurateur: Keith McNally, Balthazar, Lucky Strike, Minetta Tavern, and several other NYC establishments
- Outstanding Pastry Chef: Nicole Plue, Redd, Yountville, Calif.
- Cookbook of the Year: The Country Cooking of Ireland by Colman Andrews (Chronicle Books)
- Television Show, In Studio or Fixed Location: French Food at Home with Laura Calder, Host: Laura Calder, Network: Food Network Canada
- Television Show, On Location: Chefs A’ Field: King of Alaska, host: Rick Moonen, PBS
- TV Food Personality: Andrew Zimmern, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, The Travel Channel
- Food Blog: Serious Eats, Ed Levine, Seriouseats.com
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Ariane and Michael Batterberry
Click here for the complete list of award winners from the James Beard Foundation.