Well, it’s happened once more. Another year has gone by and it’s already National Noodle Month. Slipped right up on you again, didn’t it? (It almost got by us, too. The month is already more than half over.)
But we couldn’t let the entire month of March go by without mentioning noodles during their honorary national month. Here are a few fun facts about noodles:
- Consumption of noodles increases by about 20 percent during the first quarter of the year, and Lent is another big selling season (tuna noodle casserole!)
- According to legend, noodles were first made by German bakers in the 13th century, who fashioned dough into symbolic shapes, such as birds, words and stars. These â€˜nudelsâ€™ were then baked and served as bread.
- A half cup serving of noodles contains just one gram of fat, 106 calories, and 5mg of sodium, as well as important nutrients including B-vitamins, iron, and protein.
So, how much do YOU know about noodles? With help from the National Pasta Association (ilovepasta.org), here’s a quiz to test your noodle knowledge. (No, we’re not going to say anything about â€˜using your noodle.â€™ That’s such a clichÃ©.) Don’t pick too quickly. Noodle around a bit on each question before you answer. Good luck!
NOODLE KNOWLEDGE QUIZ
1. What people are on record as making noodles and other pasta as early as 3,000 B.C.?
C. New Yorkers
2. â€˜Noodleâ€™ comes from the word â€˜nudel,â€™ which has origins in which language?
3. How many quarts of water should be used to boil one pound of dry noodles?
4. What ingredient do noodles contain that makes them different from most other pastas?
D. Olive oil
5. Noodles and other pastas are what kind of carbohydrate?
6. Noodles play a starring role in which traditional dessert?
D. Hot Fudge Sundae
7. Noodles are available in which different varieties?
A. Fine, Medium, Wide and Extra Wide
B. Round, Square and Triangular
C. Short, Medium, Long
8. Noodles are best used in which dishes?
C. Topped with sauces of all kinds
D. All of the above
9. All pasta are noodles?
10. According to the Food Guide Pyramid, a single serving of noodles is:
A. 1-1/2 cup
B. 1 cup
C. 1/2 cup
D. 1/4 cup
(Scroll down for answers)
1-D 2-B 3-B 4-C 5-C 6-B 7-A 8-D 9-B 10-C