The results of ZAGAT’s first-ever mixology survey are in, and American imbibers have spoken. Our nationally preferred hooch of choice is (drum roll, please)…whiskey.
One third of those who voted in the restaurant review firm’s survey chose whiskey as their favorite spirit, with vodka coming in a close second, as 27 percent named it their top choice.
The popularity of bourbon, scotch and other brown boozes can perhaps be attributed to the Mad Men effect. Don Draper and his cohorts on the popular and award-winning AMC television series always seem to have a glass in hand.
Other notable survey results:
- People surveyed said they have a cocktail or two an average 3.1 times per week
- For men, the average is 3.6, for women: 2.7 times per week
- Folks have 1.8 cocktails per outing
- Tips are going up. The days of a dollar a drink are over. The average tip is now around 19% or $1.95 per tab.
- 70% prefer “shaken, not stirred,” just like Mr. 007. (Don’t miss Skyfall, premiering Nov. 9).
- The days of the 3-martini lunch are over. Only 8% say they have a noon cocktail.
- Most popular cocktail? It’s a tie: Martini and Manhattan were each favored by 12%, followed by gin and tonic and margarita.
For more insights and innovations check out CultureWaves®, the place to go for the latest observations in the World Thought Bank – events, ideas, trends and more. Add your own thoughts about anything in life – entertainment, design, technology, well-being and, yes, food trends. And, take a look at a few of our other Hot & Cool Food Trends.