The top food trends coming out of the 37th Winter Fancy Food Show have been identified, and they follow the movement toward gluten free, healthy, and just slightly decadent. After all, any list that puts Ginger Cookie Caramel Coconut Ice Cream on as an example just HAS to be a trend we’ll follow!
So, here are the five categories, with examples, as identified by the Show’s panel. Keep in mind these products were chosen out of some 80,000 products on display from 1,3000 exhibitors from around the world.
The trends are:
• Unbound Pickling: Pickled Peas and Carrots
• Boat Street Pickles: Pickled Golden Raisins
• Sonoma Brinery: Raw Sauerkraut
Drinks Go Nuts (and Seeds and Grains)
• Victoria’s Kitchen: Almond Water
• Simpli: Chocolate Oat Shake
• Chill Drinks: C+Swiss Hemp Iced Tea
Gluten Free Grows Up
• Cup4Cup: Gluten-free flour blend from Thomas Keller
• Stonewall Kitchen: Gluten-free Herbed Pizza Crust
• Love Grown Foods: Sweet Cranberry Pecan Granola
Coconut Cracks Open
• Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss: Ginger Cookie Caramel Coconut Ice Cream
• Noh Foods of Hawaii: Coconut Pudding Mix
• Hey Boo Jams: Hey Boo Coconut Jam
• Culinary Collective Zocalo Heritage Grains: Pink Amaranth
• Al Dente Pasta: BonaChia Pasta
• Origen Chilean Gourmet: Quinoa Puffs
Other trends identified at the Winter Fancy Food Show include savory sweets such as bacon brittle, mindful snacks such as raw bars, bean chips and seaweed, cocktail mix makeovers, new takes on chai, and everything fig.
The panel this year included Stephanie Dean, Sunset Magazine; Dana Goodyear, The New Yorker; Nancy Wall Hopkins, Better Homes & Gardens; Kara Nielsen, CCD Innovation; Evan Orensten, Cool Hunting; Jennifer Pelka and Ruth Reichl, Gilt Taste; Denise Purcell, Specialty Food Media; Kalena Ross, Blackboard Eats; Stephanie Stiavetti, contributor to NPR, KQED, Huffington Post; Susie Timm, Girl Meets Fork; and Joanne Weir, PBS television host, cookbook author and chef.