This is one of a series of cocktail recipes from the recent Mixology Match held in Washington, D.C., hosted by Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum and The Cocktail Nation to benefit Children of Restaurant Employees (CORE). Our friends at Nightclub & Bar are proud partners of CORE and we thank them for sharing these winning recipes with our audience!
Condensed from original event coverage by Kelly Magyarics. Recipe courtesy Judy Elahi, Bartender, True Food Kitchen. Photo courtesy of Carlos Martinez.
- 1.5 ounces Flor de Cana 4 Years Rum
- 1 ounce Cinnamon-Vanilla Syrup (Recipe Below)
- 1/2 ounce Lemon Juice, Fresh
- 1.5 ounces Apple Juice, Freshly Pressed
- Splash Soda Water
- 1 Flamed Grapefruit Peel, for Garnish
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, High Quality
- 1 Add all ingredients, except garnish, to cocktail shaker. Add ice. Shake until well chilled.
- 2 Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice, top with soda water, and garnish with flamed grapefruit peel.
- 1 Combine water, sugar and cinnamon sticks into saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved, then turn heat to medium and simmer 5 to 10 additional minutes.
- 2 Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let steep until desired cinnamon flavor is achieved, then remove cinnamon sticks.
- 3 Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a month.