We love celebrating all the many cultures that have made this country their home, and we especially loved this recipe featuring the fantastically versatile mendiant from France!
Who knew chocolate, sea salt, and pink peppercorn could taste so good?
This recipe is courtesy of American Heritage® Chocolate by MARS, Inc.
- 2 blocks (6 oz) American Heritage Chocolate blocks, finely chopped (or 1 1/3 cup drink mix)
- Optional toppings if desired: dried fruit, candied orange zest, candied ginger, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, flaky salt, rainbow sprinkles, American Heritage Chocolate Drink Mix
- 1 In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate, stirring constantly. Chocolate can also be melted in the microwave, but be sure to pause and stir the chocolate every thirty-seconds, to evenly distribute heat and prevent burning.
- 2 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon teaspoon sized dollops of the melted chocolate onto parchment, leaving about 1 inch between each spoonful. Use an offset spatula, or the back of the spoon, to smooth the chocolate into a circular shape.
- 3 Top each chocolate disc as desired. Chill mendiants in the refrigerator until cold and set, 20 to 30 minutes. Once chocolates have set, carefully peel candies off of parchment paper. Serve immediately. Chocolates will last about four days, refrigerated.