Try this gluten-free Apple Butternut Squash Soup recipe; it’s certain to wow a hungry crowd.
Courtesy of Chef Douglas “Bubbles” Sabin.
NOTE: This recipe is sized for a large crowd; scale as necessary for your own event.
- 10 lbs peeled butternut squash
- 2 or 3 medium size spanish onions
- Handful of peeled garlic gloves, sliced
- Handful of fresh minced thyme
- Handful of fresh minced italian flatleaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Apple juice
- Chicken stock
- Cream - optional
- 1 Sweat the onions and garlic on medium heat for a few minutes.
- 2 Add the squash, herbs, salt and pepper.
- 3 Cover with chicken stock or water and let simmer until squash is cooked.
- 4 Strain and retain the broth.
- 5 Puree the squash mixture in a food processor using apple juice to thin the soup.
- 6 Return to heat and ladle in remaining broth to desired thickness.
- 7 For extra richness add some cream to the soup and bring to a boil then let simmer.