My kids didn’t have a clue that I put summer squash in these soft, sweet cookies. Almost as spongy as a whoopie pie cake but so much healthier… squash whoopie pies anyone? They’re delicious!
- 3/4 cup shredded summer squash
- 3/4 cup shredded, peeled apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray (or use parchment paper on) a large cookie sheet; set aside.
- 2 Toss the shredded summer squash and apple with lemon juice in a bowl; set aside.
- 3 In a larger bowl, add butter, eggs and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer or handheld, until as smooth as possible.
- 4 In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, blending well.
- 5 Add dry to wet and beat until it all comes together and is thoroughly combined.
- 6 Fold in the shredded squash, apple and chocolate chips. Dollop 2 tablespoon sized measurements on prepared pan, leaving at least an inch between mounds.
- 7 Do not flatten out. Bake 13-14 minutes, or it bounces back when touched in the center.
- 8 Remove from oven to cool slightly before transferring to a rack to completely cool.