A traditional Swiss farmers dish for breakfast, this crispy potato and vegetable-laden recipe is great any time of day and needs no other accompaniment. But if you want to classically enjoy it, add fried or poached eggs on top.
- 3/4 cup turnip or parsnips, shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup cooked, French-style green beans
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1 In a large bowl, combine first 9 ingredients well; set aside.
- 2 Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high. When oil is shimmering, add the turnip mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- 3 Let cook 2 minutes and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook an additional 4 minutes.
- 4 Remove lid, carefully flip over and continue to cook another 4-6 minutes, or until browned on bottom.
- 5 Transfer to a serving platter, cut into 4 wedges and serve with side of cold applesauce.