Baby spinach is mild in flavor and has the best texture when served raw in salads.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 large beets, trimmed and washed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh mint leaves
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup orange segments, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- 3 In a roasting pan, combine the beets, salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 1 hour. When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins, then cut the beets into wedges.
- 5 In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended.
- 7 In another bowl, combine the beets, half of the vinaigrette, salt, pepper, green onions and half of the mint. Toss to coat and let stand for about 30 minutes.
- 9 In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, the remaining vinaigrette, the beet mixture, the oranges and the remaining mint and toss to mix. Divide the salad among 4 individual bowls, garnish with the raspberries and serve immediately.