A hint of citrus, a mouthful of pumpkin, and a donut you can feel good about!
These baked donuts hold up just as well as deep-fried donuts and are an outstanding example of how every little bit of consciousness when easing our fat consumption can be remarkably tasty. You will be surprised at the flavor the Chinese 5-spice powder adds, but allspice is a great substitution as well.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 (9-ounce) container orange-flavored yogurt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup caramel eggnog (use regular milk, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5-spice powder, allspice or cinnamon
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Line a cookie pan with parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2 In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and baking powder, mixing well.
- 3 Add yogurt, pumpkin, eggnog, orange zest and melted butter, mixing until it comes together completely using a sturdy wooden spoon or a paddle attachment on a tabletop mixer.
- 4 Empty dough onto well-floured work surface and knead until it is no longer sticky, adding flour as needed.
- 5 Roll out to at least an inch thick. Cut out as many donuts as possible, gathering up the dough, re-kneading slightly and cutting more donuts until all dough is used.
- 6 You can either use a donut cutter or the mouth of a cup, with the screw cap from a soda bottle to press out donut holes.
- 7 Place each donut onto prepared pan, leaving an inch between each donut.
- 8 Bake 24-26 minutes, or until they spring back when touched in the center and slightly crisp on top.
- 9 Remove from oven to cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, mix together granulated sugar with Chinese 5-Spice powder in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- 10 Over the same cookie pan, spray the top of 1 donut with nonstick cooking spray.
- 11 Flip over and spray the other side.
- 12 Immediately dip donut in prepared sugar mixture until evenly coated, placing back onto the pan. Repeat with remaining donuts.