Look for plum tomatoes and zucchini with similar diameters so that you have uniform slices to arrange attractively atop the sautéed red onions that form an aromatic base for this Mediterranean-inspired side dish.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, about 3/4 pound total, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F. Butter or oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- 2 In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté slowly until very soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onion slices to the prepared baking dish.
- 3 Arrange the tomato slices and zucchini slices over the onion in alternate rows. Sprinkle with the basil and marjoram and season with salt and pepper. Pour the water evenly over the vegetables.
- 4 Cover and bake until the vegetables are bubbling and tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and serve hot directly from the dish.