Use this Green Tomato Salsa Verde straight up as a sauce for enchiladas, or stir it into a cheese dip or your morning breakfast burrito filling! It’s simply delicious.
Excerpted from Ball® Canning Back to Basics. Copyright © 2017 Hearthmark, LLC. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, finely chopped (about 6 tomatoes), or the same amount of tomatillos, husks removed and cleaned
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1 Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large stainless-steel or enameled saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cilantro and the lime juice.
- 2 Ladle the hot salsa into a hot jar, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rim. Center the lid on the jar. Apply the band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place the jar in the boiling water canner. Repeat until all the jars are filled.
- 3 Process the jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove the lid, and let the jars stand 5 minutes. Remove the jars and cool.