This Bama BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich is nothing fancy, but crazy tasty! And you don’t need to use a slow cooker to wait for something this good. By softening the spices in this pulled chicken recipe and relying on the great taste of White Barbecue Sauce, you will be pleasantly surprised that you won’t miss classic barbecue at all.
The White Barbecue Sauce uses liquid smoke. It’s one of those products that everyone overlooks when it comes to great, outdoorsy flavor. You want to use just the right amount. Start with a 1/4 teaspoon per 1-1/2 to 2 cups sauce and go from there. Not everyone likes it, but if used sparingly, it adds a tremendous amount of smoky flavor. This northern Alabama-inspired barbecue sauce is a super dipping sauce for simple baked chicken or anything you can grill outside as well.
You’ll find the recipes for the sandwich and the BBQ sauce below.
Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- About 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- As desired white barbecue sauce
- 4 rolls of your choice
White Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground or cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Place chicken in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Turn heat on medium, place the cover on a little askew to allow steam to escape, and boil for 15-10 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- 2 Drain water and add orange juice and soy sauce. Take lid off, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 additional minutes. If you notice the juice running dry, add more juice and soy in equal amounts if needed.
- 3 Remove chicken and saucepan from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove chicken to clean work surface and shred with two forks, or simply chop with knife. Return chicken to pot and add remaining ingredients, blending well. Add a scoop to a roll and top with White Barbecue Sauce.
White BBQ Sauce
- 1 Simply whisk all ingredients together well, cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Serve drizzled over fried chicken sandwiches, pulled pork or chicken, slathered over grilled or baked chicken or as a dipping sauce for ribs.
- 2 Prep time for the sauce is about 5 minutes, with no cook time. Yields approximately 1-1/2 cups.