You may be familiar with pulled pork, and if you are, and have never had pulled lamb, then you are missing out!
Barbecue Pulled Lamb Shanks on a Crusty Roll with a sweet, yet zesty, barbecue sauce and roasted onions. Switch it up this week and try something new!
Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 American Lamb foreshanks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 6 crusty rolls
- 1 In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Pat shanks dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides.
- 2 Place in a roasting pan. Add onion, chicken broth, and oregano. Roast at 375ºF for 2 hours, turning shanks every 30 minutes.
- 3 When meat is done, remove from broth and cool. Strain broth, reserving onions. Reserve 1/4 cup of broth. Refrigerate or freeze remaining broth for use in soups or stews.
- 4 Remove meat from bones; shred meat removing fat. In pan, combine pulled lamb, barbecue sauce, and 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup reserved broth if needed. Heat, stirring to combine sauce and lamb.
- 5 Split rolls and spoon on meat.