This recipe for authentic Bean Tamales is one in a series we’re featuring from the chefs at La Palomilla Bed and Breakfast. Located in La Roma, a hip and vibrant neighborhood in Mexico City, La Palomilla is a unique seven-room B&B that caters to the modern traveler seeking an authentic experience.
- 12 pieces corn
- 4 ounces lard
- To taste salt
- Corn shells for tamales
- 2 cups refried black beans passed through blender
- As desired Mozarella or Oaxaca cheese
- 1 Grind the corn and, in a bowl, add melted lard, a bit of milk and salt.
- 2 Fill the tamal (corn husk) with a layer of beans and add the corn mixture.
- 3 Top the tamal with a couple pieces of cheese.
- 4 To close, fold the corners of the corn shells and add tamales to the steamer vertically for about 70 minutes.