This wonderful fruit pie recipe was handed down from a fellow named Bill who clipped it out of a newspaper some 20 years ago. Year after year Bill brought his Pear Pie to family reunions and gatherings and it became famous in family circles as Bill’s Pear Pie. It was passed along to us by Adeline Bryan, of St. Louis, Mo.
Why Try? It tastes spectacular and is a flavorful departure from the usual.
- 5 fresh pear halves (2 1/2 whole pears cut in half lengthwise), cored and trimmed
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, unbaked
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Arrange trimmed pear halves, cut sides down, in unbaked pie crust.
- 3 Combine 3 tablespoons flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1 1/2 cups sour cream in bowl and whisk to blend. Spoon evenly over pears.
- 4 Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 cup butter in bowl and mix to coarse crumbled consistency. Spoon evenly over pie filling.
- 5 Bake pie for 20 to 25 minutes or until crumb topping is light golden brown.
- 6 Remove from oven and cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.