Gaze at the splendor, then take a sip and let your worries drift away. Please remember to douse the flames first, else those worries might be compounded! This recipe provided by Mercadito Restaurant.
See our video and restaurant review, too.
- 1 ounce Blanco tequila
- 1 ounce Reposado tequila
- .5 ounce dark, full-bodied rum
- 1 ounce Orgeat syrup
- 1 ounce guava puree or nectar
- one half of a large fresh lime
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- .25 ounce 151 proof rum (for flaming)
- 1 Squeeze lime juice into a mixing glass or tin, retain the spent shell.
- 2 Add all remaining ingredients, except 151 proof rum.
- 3 Add ice and shake voraciously for ten seconds.
- 4 Fill a pre-rimmed double old-fashioned or Collins-style glass with cracked ice.
- 5 Strain the drink over the ice.
- 6 Invert the spent lime shell (pulp side down) and place it on top, making sure that it sits fairly level.
- 7 Carefully pour the 151 into the lime shell.
- 8 Carefully light using a long wooden match.
- 10 For cracked ice:
- 11 Place a clean, lint-free cloth napkin or kitchen towel on a flat surface and place a cup of ice cubes in the middle.
- 12 Gather the corners and bring them up to create a little "hobo bag".
- 13 Twist to secure the ice inside.
- 14 With a muddler or rolling pin, whack the ice bag five or six times in several different spots.
- 15 If making crushed ice, take out those frustrations and keep on a-smashing until a uniform consistency is reached.