Put a little borscht in a martini glass and see just how interesting a soup can suddenly become! This has all kinds of healthy ingredients and plays off the tradition of an ethnic-inspired cold soup.
- 2 large beets peeled, cubed
- 1 small purple onion,chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth (more if you want thinner consistency)
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 shot vodka
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Peel beets and cube in about 1/2-inch cubes.
- 2 In a pot, cover beets with water and boil for about 15 minutes or until tender (reserve liquid)
- 3 In a skillet, sauté onions in olive oil on a low heat until they are translucent.
- 4 Add vegetable broth, purple cabbage, and beets to onions
- 5 Place mixture in a blender or food processor, pulse to blend leaving some texture.
- 6 Add shot of vodka, honey, and apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and pepper and blend for about 10 seconds.
- 7 Presentation: Pour soup mixture into a martini glass. (For thinner soup add some of the reserved cooking liquid from beets.) Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- 8 Garnish: Option 1: Add teaspoon of sour cream or plain yogurt dollop on top. Use a toothpick to run through the sour cream or yogurt to make design.
- 9 Option 2: Place small amount of shredded cabbage on top.