These noodles make a quick dinner on a busy workday. Shanghai-style noodles are thick, dense wheat-flour noodles that have a chewy texture.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 3 quarts water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh Shanghai-style noodles
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms or 2 ounces dried shitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into very thin strips and 1 1/2 inches long
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 4 cups finely shredded white and red cabbage
- 2 ounces garlic chives, cut into 2-inch pieces, or 8 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese balck rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Large pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- 1 In a large pot over high heat, bring the water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil. Add the noodles, stir well and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
- 2 If using fresh shiitakes, remove the stems and discard. If using dried shiitakes, place in a small bowl, cover with warm water and soak until soft, about 20 minutes; drain, squeezing out any excess liquid. Remove the stems and discard. Cut the caps into slices 1/4 inch thick.
- 3 Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and toss and stir until beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- 4 Add the chicken and toss with the mushrooms until the chicken is opaque, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 5 Increase the heat to high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. Add the carrot and cabbage, and toss and stir until beginning to wilt. Add the garlic chives and toss and stir for 10 seconds. Remove from the heat and add to the chicken mixture.
- 6 Place the wok over medium-high heat and add the stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, sugar and white pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- 7 Add the noodles and toss to coat evenly. Cook until the liquid is completely reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and toss until well combined.
- 8 Divide among individual plates and serve immediately.