Take fondue to a new level with brie and caramelized onions.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 499 Fat, Total: 37g Carbohydrates, Total: 10g
Cholesterol: 129mg Sodium: 719mg Protein: 24g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 67% % Cal. from Carbs: 8%
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 small red onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 pound brie cheese, chilled, rind cut off, cheese cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon blanc)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Assorted dippers (see list below)
- 1 Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until golden, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cook until caramelized, about 3 minutes longer. Add vinegar and thyme and cook until all liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool onion mixture.
- 2 Toss brie with cornstarch in large bowl. Bring wine, lemon juice and garlic to simmer in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 handful of cheese to wine and whisk until almost melted. Repeat with remaining cheese in about 5 more batches. Continue whisking until completely melted and fondue begins to bubble, about 1 minute.
- 3 Transfer to fondue pot and keep warm over fondue burner. Top fondue with caramelized onions and serve. Accompany with a platter of assorted dippers, fondue forks and plates.
- 4 DIPPERS: Crusty bread, apple wedges, pear wedges, crusty bread, olive foccacia, smoked sausage rounds, Belgian endive wedges, blanched asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower florets and carrot sticks, boiled new potatoes.
- 5 VARIATIONS: Crumble 1/2 cup gorgonzola over caramelized onions and fondue just before serving.