This recipe for Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with Brown Rice Crust is from Addie Gundry’s The Lighten Up Cookbook.
“This brown rice crust is a healthier departure from the typical buttery flaky pastry. The crust recipe could even be repurposed when making pumpkin pie or savory tarts for a fun new twist.”
Copyright © 2018 by Addie Gundry in The Lighten Up Cookbook and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Griffin.
Find other recipes from this cookbook here.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled (you’ll need about 2⁄3 cup uncooked brown rice to yield 2 cups cooked).
- 1¼ cups cheddar cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 5 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- To taste salt and pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- 2 Combine the rice, ¼ cup of the cheddar cheese, the Parmesan cheese, and 1 egg.
- 3 Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan to ¼-inch thickness.
- 4 Bake for 7 minutes until the crust begins to brown.
- 5 In a large bowl, beat the remaining 4 eggs with the herbes de Provence, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- 6 After the crust has baked, lower the oven temperature to 375°F.
- 7 Layer the broccoli, mushrooms, remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese, and scallions onto the crust.
- 8 Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until set and the top is golden.