Instead of serving this salad on individual plates as a first course, try spooning it alongside roasted turkey, chicken or pork as a warm side dish.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup young, tender arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the brussels sprouts, apple juice, water and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook just until the sprouts are tender yet firm when pierced at the base, about 15 minutes. Drain well.When the brussels sprouts are cool enough to handle, cut them lengthwise into thin slices. Put the slices in a bowl and add the walnut oil, vinegar, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper and stir gently to mix.
- 2 Divide the arugula among 4 individual salad plates. Spoon the brussels sprouts and their dressing over the arugula and garnish with the walnuts. Serve warm.