Leg of Lamb is a beautiful dish to serve when entertaining friends and family. American lamb is tender and sweet. In this recipe, it’s grilled and brushed with a delightful blend of oregano, garlic and pepper.
Don’t let the “butterflied” make you think it’s complicated. It just means the cut of meat is halved so it lies flatter when grilling to cook more quickly.
This recipe is shared by the experts at the American Lamb Board.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 pounds boneless American Lamb leg, butterflied
- 1 Blend oil with basil, oregano, garlic and pepper; pour half over meat and brush over both sides.
- 2 Grill lamb over medium coals in covered grill, about 6 inches from coals, for 20-25 minutes per side. Baste occasionally with remaining herbed olive oil.
- 3 Rest lamb for about 10 minutes; slice lamb crosswise at a diagonal slant and serve.