This Cajun Salmon with Mango, Pineapple and Avocado Salsa is marinated, rubbed in Cajun spice and pan-seared. Topped with mango, pineapple and avocado it’s an absolute sweet-and-spicy delight.
- 4 (4-6 ounces each) skinless salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cajun Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons each smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, dried thyme , pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit for less heat)
- 3 tablepoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons each lime juice, orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Spice Mix
Mango, Pineapple, Avocado Salsa
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded, deveined, diced
- To taste salt
- To taste lime juice
- 1 Mix together Spice Mix ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 2 Remove 2 teaspoons of the mix to a shallow dish or large freezer bag (whatever you are going to marinate salmon in). Whisk in remaining Marinade ingredients. Add salmon and turn to coat.
- 3 Marinate at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. You will use remaining spices later in the Rub.
Mango, Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- 1 Meanwhile, chop and add all of the Salsa ingredients EXCEPT AVOCADO to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- 2 Refrigerate until ready to serve. Chop and add avocado just before serving so it doesn’t brown.
- 1 After 30-60 minutes (no more), remove fish from marinade and pat dry.
- 2 Rub remaining Cajun Spice Mix evenly all over fish. The easiest way to do this is dip each fillet in the spice mix, front and back.
- 1 In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat (medium if your stove runs hot).
- 2 Once hot, add fillets, turn heat down to medium and cook approximately 4 minutes, until crispy and blackened. Flip salmon over and add butter.
- 3 Cook an additional 3-6 minutes to your liking (will depend on thickness). Check salmon after 2 minutes to ensure it isn't cooking too quickly - if it is, then turn down the heat.
- 4 Remove salmon from skillet to individual plates and drizzle with pan juices.
- 5 Serve with Mango, Pineapple Avocado Salsa.