This isn’t your ordinary everyday fondue. Made with camembert cheese and both porcini and shiitake mushrooms, fondue has never been so elegant!
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
4 servings (2 cups)
Facts per Serving
Calories: 544 Fat, Total: 40g Carbohydrates, Total: 8g
Cholesterol: 118mg Sodium: 1203mg Protein: 30g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 66% % Cal. from Carbs: 6%
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 ounces crimini or stemmed shiitake mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/4 pounds Camembert cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon blanc)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Assorted dippers (see list below)
- 1 Bring 3/4 cup water to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add porcini. Cover; let stand 30 minutes.
- 2 Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to bowl. Strain soaking liquid through cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove any grit. Set liquid aside.
- 3 Finely chop porcini. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add porcini and crimini; sauté until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add strained soaking liquid and cook until almost no liquid remains, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in parsley and rosemary. (Mushroom mixture can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- 4 Place Camembert in freezer for 15 minutes (this will make trimming the rind easier). Using sharp knife, cut rind off cheese and discard. Pull cheese off in 1-inch pieces (you should have about 3 cups cheese). Toss camembert with cornstarch in large bowl.
- 5 Bring wine, lemon juice and garlic to simmer in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 handful of cheese to wine and whisk until almost melted. Repeat with remaining cheese in about 5 more batches. Continue whisking until completely melted and fondue begins to bubble, about 1 minute.
- 6 Transfer to fondue pot and keep warm over fondue burner. Top fondue with wild mushroom mixture and serve. Accompany with a platter of assorted dippers, fondue forks and plates.
- 7 DIPPERS: Crusty bread, walnut bread, blanched asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower florets and carrot sticks, boiled new potatoes.