Caramel Corn Recipe. Homemade caramel popcorn is a great snack and a wonderful holiday gift.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Makes 24 cups
Facts per Serving
Calories: 224 Fat, Total: 12g Carbohydrates, Total: 30g
Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 192mg Protein: 3g
Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 48% % Cal. from Carbs: 54%
- 14 cups freshly popped popcorn (about 1 cup kernels)
- One 9.5-ounce container select mix roasted salted nuts (cashews with pecans and almonds)
- 2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- 2 Butter a large metal bowl and two metal forks and have ready two large (ungreased) cookie sheets. Place popcorn and nuts in bowl and keep warm in oven while preparing caramel. Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in heavy large saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium high and boil without stirring, until mixture registers 255ºF. on candy thermometer.
- 3 Remove from heat and immediately add baking soda (mixture will bubble up) and stir until baking soda is mixed in thoroughly. Working quickly, pour caramel over popcorn and nuts. (Maintain oven temperature.) Mix caramel into popcorn and nuts using forks. Divide mixture between the 2 large cookie sheets. Bake stirring every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Cool. Break into pieces and store air-tightly.