Delicious ready-made Carnitas can be purchased at the meat counter of most Latin markets. Put this recipe together for an authentic Cinco de Mayo dinner.
Recipe courtesy of Cacique
- 1 pkg Ranchero® Queso Fresco - crumbled
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 1/2 lbs carnitas - shredded or chopped
- 1 large can red enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup cilantro (fresh) - chopped
- 3/4 cup onions - chopped (reserve 1/3 cup for garnish)
- 8 flour tortillas - (or corn tortillas)
- oil - for frying
- 1 Preheat oven 375F.
- 2 In a large bowl, mix carnitas with 1/2 package crumbled Queso Fresco, onions and cilantro.
- 3 Fry tortillas in oil then dip in enchilada sauce, fully submerging for about 5 seconds. Place ‘fried" tortillas on a plate.
- 4 Spoon about 3 tablespoons of carnitas mixture, roll tortilla and place seam side down on a baking dish. Repeat with each tortilla. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- 5 Top with crema, onions and crumbled Queso Fresco.