Learn how to make a delicious garlicky sauce out of cashews that is completely vegan and gluten free! The sauce is great for any pasta, and can even be used to spice up steamed or cooked vegetables as a side dish.
Follow along with Carolyn as she walks you step-by-step through how to cook this creamy sauce in her latest episode of The Global Kitchen.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 3 hours up to overnight), drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegan chicken bouillon cube
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil (omit and water saute the garlic if you want an oil free sauce)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 10-15 medium to large fresh sage leaves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Saute garlic in olive oil or butter over medium heat.
- 2 Add in sage until well coated and remove from heat.
- 3 In a blender, add in the cashews and 3/4 cups water, nutritional yeast and bouillon cube and puree.
- 4 If the sauce is thick enough, don’t add anymore water but if you want it thinner, add in the remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s the right thickness.
- 5 Add in the sauteed garlic and sage, blend and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6 Pour over veggies, pasta, rice or meat substitute and enjoy!