Chai Recipe, Chai made with cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves peppercorns, cardamom pods, fresh ginger, black tea, and honey. There’s no need to go to your favorite coffee shop for chai, now you can make it at home!
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoors Series, Snow Country Cooking: Good Food for the Great Outdoors (Williams-Sonoma Outdoors).
- 2 cinnammon sticks, broken in half
- 8 allspice berries
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- 16 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 slices fresh ginger, lightly crushed
- 2 tea bags or 1 tablespoons black tea
- 1/2 cup milk, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1 With a mortar and pestle, coarsely grind the cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves and peppercorns. In a saucepan, combine the ground spices, water, cardamom pods and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside, covered for 10 minutes.
- 2 Place the tea bags in a teapot, or put the loose tea in a tea ball and place in the pot. Return the spiced water to a boil and pour into the teapot. Let steep for 2 to 3 minutes, then strain the tea and serve with mild and honey on the side.
- 3 Serves 4.