Cheesy Meatloaf Recipe. This meatloaf includes a delicious surprise: Cubes of mozzarella cheese are blended into the meat mixture, while shredded cheese is combined with bread crumbs and herbs to create a sublime topping.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.com
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water, chopped, soaking liquid reserved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus 6 ounces, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef (80% lean)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- 2 In a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery and onion and sauté until tender and starting to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- 3 In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the bread crumbs and 1/3 cup of the mushroom soaking liquid and soak for 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs, the 1 tablespoon parsley, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- 4 In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix together the ground beef, soaked bread crumbs, vegetable mixture, eggs, the 1/4 cup parsley, thyme, cubed cheese, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and shape into a 10-by-5-inch loaf. Cover the top and sides of the meat loaf with the cheese-bread crumb mixture.
- 5 Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat loaf registers 165°F, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let the meat loaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 6 Serve with mashed potatoes.