Shrimp Po Boy Recipe. – Guest Chef Pat Mould reveals his Louisiana recipe for Shrimp Po Boys. A perfect sandwich for Lent or anytime you’re hungry.
Recipe courtesy of Lou Ana Peanut Oil.
Recommended cooking tools:
- Lou Ana Peanut Oil in deep fryer
- 1/2 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 (8-inch) pieces baguette
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- 1 Pour oil into a large deep fryer; heat to 350 degrees.
- 2 Combine cornmeal, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper in a shallow dish, stirring well. Dredge shrimp in cornmeal mixture. Fry shrimp at 350 degrees for 4 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp and drain well on paper towels.
- 3 Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, mayonnaise, mustard and juice, stirring well. Spread about 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture over cut sides of bread slices. Place 1 lettuce leaf on the bottom half of each bread slice; top with 1 red onion slice and 2 tomato slices. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 4 Divide shrimp evenly among sandwiches; place top halves of bread slices on each. Cut sandwiches in half. Serve immediately.