These simple Chewy Halloween Monster Cookies are ideal for the holiday, made in a range of bright colors and decorated with sugar eyes. Use professional grade food pastes or gels if you can, that way you will need less.
Modern food colorings do not alter the flavor or texture of a recipe too much, but the less you can use to get a good result, the better. You can get sugar eyes in most supermarkets now, and if you plan ahead and look around, you can come up with a variety of sizes that look really good together!
This recipe is courtesy of the Chefs at Rattan Direct.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 9 oz. cream cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Splash of vanilla
- Icing sugar, sieved
- Gel food colors
- Sugar eyes
- 1 Mix the flour and the baking powder together.
- 2 Using an electric beater, beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- 3 Add the salt and the sugar; beat until pale and fluffy.
- 4 Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- 5 Mix in the flour.
- 6 Divide the mixture into 3 or 5, depending on how many colors you want to use.
- 7 Mix in the colors thoroughly.
- 8 Chill for at least 2 hrs.
- 9 Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 10 Divide the dough into heaped teaspoon sized clumps. A dusting of icing sugar on your hands will help with this. Roll into balls that should be about an inch wide.
- 11 Roll the balls in icing sugar and place 2 inches apart on a baking tray.
- 12 Bake for about 7 to 10 minutes, so that they are just set, and before they brown.
- 13 As soon as they come out of the oven, press in the sugar eyes.
- 14 Cool on the tray and then refrigerate to serve.