This recipe for a Chicken and Waffle Cupcake was created by the pastry experts at the Caked Up Café at 345 7th Avenue in New York City. The café is world famous for its wildly flavored cupcakes and custom-designed celebration cakes.
The Chicken and Waffle Cupcake came about as the chefs wanted to create the perfect brunch dessert. They brainstormed some ideas and came up with a play on a favored combination: chicken and waffles.
The treat is a maple cupcake that’s topped with vanilla buttercream, a mini waffle and a juicy piece of fried chicken. It’s the ultimate brunch experience in one dish.
Here’s how to make your own home version.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix or your favorite recipe
- Mini waffles, frozen
- Fried chicken pieces, prepackaged or favorite recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4-5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- 1 Mix 1/2 cup maple syrup into your favorite vanilla cake recipe and bake according to directions.
- 2 Cook off your waffles and chicken according to directions.
- 3 Let the cupcake cool and ice with vanilla buttercream.
- 4 With a toothpick, skew together a mini waffle and piece of chicken and place on top of your iced cupcake.
- 5 Drizzle each cupcake with more maple syrup and serve warm.