A delicious skillet-grilled breakfast sandwich that combines a little spicy, with a little savory, to give you a kickstart to your day.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices reduced sodium bacon
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotles
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, toasted
- 1 Peel the onion and slice into 1/2-inch thick rounds; separate into rings. Select the 4 largest rings. Reserve the remaining onion for another use.
- 2 In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon in a single layer; turn frequently for about 8 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- 3 Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, careful not to burn. Return skillet to heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Place onion rings in the skillet for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Crack an egg into each onion ring and cook covered, for 4 to 6 minutes until whites are set and yolks are still runny.
- 4 Mix together mayonnaise chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Spread on the bottom half of each English muffin. Top with shredded lettuce, bacon and an onion wrapped egg. Cap with remaining English muffin half. Serve immediately.
- 5 Note: For a spicier mayo add more chipotle.