The Tomato Chipotle Sauce adds a smoky and sweet garlic flavor. The tomato texture has a distinct profile that results from its featured chile.
Recipe by Rick Bayless, courtesy of Seeds of Change
- 2 packages SEEDS OF CHANGE® Tapovan White Basmati Rice
- 1 pound (4 to 6) ripe Amish paste plum tomatoes
- 3 to 4 canned chipotle chiles en adobo
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle canning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- About 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds medium-large shrimp (21 to 25 shrimp per pound), peeled and deveined, tail left on if you wish
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 Make the tomato-chipotle mixture. Roast the tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until splotchy black and soft, about 6 minutes; turn them over and roast on the other side. Cool, then peel and transfer to a food processor or blender, being careful to scrape up all the delicious juice that has run out onto the baking sheet. Add the chipotle chiles, the chipotle canning sauce and the smoked paprika. Process until smooth.
- 2 Pickle the onions. In a small bowl, combine the onion, lime juice and 1 scant teaspoon salt. Let stand until the shrimp is done.
- 3 Finish the dish. In a very large (12-inch skillet), heat the oil over medium. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant and golden, about 1 minute. Pour in the tomato mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes for the flavors to meld. Add enough broth or water to achieve a light tomato sauce consistency. Taste and season highly with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon.
- 4 Add the shrimp to the pan. Cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the shrimp are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in a little more broth or water if the sauce has thickened too much. Scoop onto a serving platter and sprinkle with the pickled onions and cilantro leaves. Serve with the Tapovan White Basmati Rice, prepared following the directions on the pouch.