The recipe for Ritz Mock Apple Pie began appearing on Ritz packaging not long after the product hit store shelves in 1934. Now, the sweet, simple dessert, with the taste, texture and look of apple pie (without the apples!) is being brought front and center once again in this new variation.
Recipe courtesy of I>Ritz.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
- 36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups)
- Zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup each chopped PLANTERS Walnuts and BAKERS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
- 1 MIX sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Bring to boil on high heat; simmer on low 15 minutes. Stir in zest and juice; cool 30 minutes.
- 2 HEAT oven to 425°F. Roll out half of pastry on lightly floured surface to 11-inch circle; place in 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in crust. Sprinkle 1/2 cup each chopped PLANTERS Walnuts and BAKERS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks over cracker crumbs before covering with sugar syrup.Pour sugar syrup over crumbs; top with butter and cinnamon.
- 3 ROLL out remaining pastry to 10-inch circle; place over pie. Seal and flute edge. Cut several slits in top crust to permit steam to escape. Place on parchment-covered baking sheet.
- 4 BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until golden brown. Cool.
- 5 Note: To prevent crust from overbrowning, cover edge with foil near end of baking time, if necessary.