Irish Coffee Recipe. Irish Coffee was originally created by an Irish chef/barman as a warm and welcoming drink for the first tourists to arrive in Ireland via transatlantic passenger airplanes.
The Shannon International Airport (then called the Shannon Airport Foynes), in Shannon, Ireland, has served Irish coffee as the official welcoming beverage since 1942.
This recipe is true to Chef Joe Sheridan’s original recipe.
©Copyright 2008. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- 1 cup fresh brewed black coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces (1 jigger) Irish whiskey
- 1 tablespoon lightly whipped cream
- 1 Pour hot coffee into a warmed glass until it is about 3/4 full.
- 2 Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved; stir in the Irish whiskey.
- 3 Top with lightly whipped cream, being careful not to blend cream with the coffee/whiskey. Serve hot!