Coconut Cupcakes Recipe. Invite some friends over and make these yummy cupcakes together!
This recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kids Baking, by Abigail Johnson Dodge (Oxmoor House, 2003).
- For the cupcakes: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain (unflavored) yogurt
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- For the vanilla frosting: 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 Before you start: Be sure an adult is nearby to help.
- 2 Preheat an oven to 375°F. Line a 12-well muffin pan with paper liners.
- 3 Mix the batter: In a bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4 In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one is added. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- 5 Add half of the flour mixture and beat on low speed just until blended. Add the yogurt and beat until smooth. Add the rest of the flour mixture and the coconut and beat just until blended. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the bowl with the spatula.
- 6 Fill the cups: Using 2 large spoons, one to scoop and one to push, fill each lined cup mostly full with batter.
- 7 Bake and cool the cupcakes: Put the pan in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 8 Using oven mitts, remove the pan from the oven and set on a cooling rack for 20 minutes. Tip the cupcakes out of the pan onto the rack and let cool completely.
- 9 Using oven mitts, remove the pan from the oven and set on a cooling rack for 20 minutes. Tip the cupcakes out of the pan onto the rack and let cool completely.
- 10 Frost and decorate the cupcakes: In a bowl, using the electric mixer, beat together the butter, confectioners' sugar, cream, vanilla and salt on low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- 11 Pour the 2 cups coconut into a shallow bowl.
- 12 Using an icing spatula, frost the top of each cupcake, mounding the icing in the center. Holding the bottom of each cupcake, roll the frosted top in the coconut.