Such a pleasingly sweet pudding with just enough sugar to “sweeten the pot“. The mango stands out really well with that hint of coconut and allspice to warm it up a bit.
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated skim or whole milk
- 1 cup frozen, thawed mango chunks*
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- For Garnish toasted coconut, optional
- 1 Place coconut and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for one hour.
- 2 Transfer cooled coconut water to a food processor or blender and add milk, mango, cornstarch, sugar, allspice and orange zest. Puree, on high, until mango is completely pureed, or leave little chunks if desired.
- 3 Transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to boiling over medium high heat, stirring almost constantly. Reduce to medium and cook, still constantly stirring, for an additional 3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat to spoon into individual serving dishes or one large bowl. Cover and refrigerate completely.
- 4 Serve with whipped topping or toasted coconut (see NOTE below) over the top.
- 5 * If you decide to use fresh mango, make sure it is very ripe and softened.
- 6 * Prep time increases to 15 minutes if using fresh mango.
- 7 NOTE: Toasting coconut is as simple as placing shredded coconut in a dry skillet over medium high heat. Let cook, stirring frequently once hot, for about 2 minutes or longer, depending on how toasted you desire. Immediately remove coconut from skillet onto plate or bowl.