Coconut shrimp is a crowd favorite when dining out, crunchy, sweet, and savory all at the same time.
But, why spend money to go out when you can make them at home! Simple to make, this weeknight meal is quick and delicious.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp (or frozen and thawed) peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cornstarch (or flour)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Pineapple Salsa
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 cup roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from one lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 Place the coconut flakes and the panko, along with a generous pinch of salt, in a medium sized bowl and toss to combine.
- 2 Place the egg whites in a separate bowl and whisk them and finally the flour in a third bowl.
- 3 Dip the shrimp in first the flour (dust off any excess flour), then the egg whites, and finally in the shredded coconut mixture and coat generously.
- 4 Fry in hot oil for just a few minutes or until lightly golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with additional salt.
For the Salsa
- 1 Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently mix until it's all combined.
- 2 Keep at room temperature for a few minutes so the flavors really combine. Serve with crispy coconut shrimp and enjoy!